Code updated August 26th, 2011 to fix some issues and add new features. See release notes on download page.
Note: This SDK was designed to work with Android 2.x devices. Newer 3.x and 4.x Android devices have bugs in the WebViewer control which causes poor performance with this SDK. This SDK is built on top of the Bing Maps V7 AJAX control and as such can also be used to create web based application that work on Android devices. In addition it can also be used with PhoneGap (http://phonegap.com) if you want to create a native application. This is the recommended development route as this will allow all new functionality in Bing Maps v7 to become instantly available to your application.
The Bing Maps Android SDK is a base project that can be used to help developers create mapping applications using Microsoft's Bing Maps. This is written in Java and built using the Bing Maps AJAX v7 control.
This SDK consists of a set of libraries and assets that can be used to create Bing Maps applications. These libraries are put together into a sample application which you can either use as a base for your application or as a guide to create your own from scratch.
Here is a video showing some of the features:
- Built on top of Bing Maps AJAX V7
- Touch controls added to support pinch to zoom, and double tap to zoom
- Requires Bing Maps Key
- Supports Pushpins, Polylines, Polygons, EntityCollections, and TileLayers.
- Libraries for accessing Bing Maps REST service supports Geocoding (Address and query searches), Reverse Geocoding, Routing with support for all route options.
- Libraries for accessing Bing Spatial Data service supports FindByArea, FindByID, and FindByProperty.
- All service calls have an Asynchronous task which make requests to Bing Servers and parses the response on a background tread.
- Works in any orientation.
- Infobox support.
- Location Details view.
- Support for GeoRSS files.
- Support for localization.
This project is sponsored by: